Book Round-up: National Mental Health Month
Hello Ink Drinkers,
Since May is National Mental Health Month, I wanted to share a few books dealing with various mental health topics that I've read and loved.
I've found that while I love reading books with heavier topics, such as struggles with mental health, I sometimes may not be in the right mindset. And if I'm not there, the books can seriously affect my mood, and not for the better. (Is reading a book about mental health that then affects my mental health in a way that may be warned about or dealt with in the book, a kind of fourth-wall break?)
I think I've tended to gravitate towards fictional books for this topic, but I'd like to read a few more non-fiction books. Maybe those kinds of books can give me a richer understanding of these topics and illnesses?
Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson
202 pages, Published: October 1999
YA, Contemporary Fiction, Mental Health Rep
⭐⭐⭐⭐
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Girl in Pieces, by Kathleen Glasgow
416 pages, Published: August 2016
YA, Contemporary Fiction, Mental Health Rep
⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
I thought Glasgow created very human and relatable characters and though she kept the story realistic, her writing and descriptions were really quite lovely.
I don't usually do this, but I actually marked a couple of quotes that really stood out to me.
"I cut because I can't deal. It's as simple as that. The world becomes an ocean, the ocean washes over me, the sound of water is deafening, the water drowns my heart, my panic becomes as large as planets. I need release, I need to hurt myself more than the world can hurt me, and then I can comfort myself."
"'The moral of the story, Charlie, is this: Don't let the cereal eat you. It's only a f*cking box of cereal, but it will eat you alive if you let it.'"
I don't want to give any big spoilers, so I guess I'll do light spoilers. If you're worried that this book is a total downer, it's not. (I actually felt kind of warm and fuzzy when I finished it.) I'm really happy that Glasgow took on a hard, but important subject and handled it so well and with such wonderful writing.
Varies, Published: January 2018 - July 2026
YA, Graphic Novel, LGBTQIAP+, Mental Health Rep (touched upon, but not always the main focus)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Same Time Next Week: True Stories of Working Through Mental Illness, Edited by Lee Gutkind
304 pages, Published: March 2015
Nonfiction, Essays, Short Stories, Mental Health Rep
⭐⭐⭐⭐
“No crummy coat, no layers, no smell.
Dolores eyed her up and down, and then glanced back at me. This wasn’t lost on Suzanne.
‘Don’t gloat,’ she said to both of us. ‘It’s just too cold outside. I thought it was time to move the circus inside.’
‘Inside,’ I said, ‘is a very good place for us to go.’ ”
While this book can be difficult to read, I really enjoyed it. I appreciated the wide variety of narrative voices and experiences shared in the book. I definitely recommend reading this because it touches upon an area of our society that is still so misunderstood and stigmatized. The only caveat I would offer is to go slowly and maybe only read one story at a time. That way, you’re able to really appreciate the story, and I found I sometimes needed a break because things were getting a little too dark and heavy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman
325 pages, Published: May 2017
11 hours, Narrated by Cathleen McCarron
Contemporary Fiction, Mental Health Rep
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, it feels like the world is in shambles and in the midst of falling apart. For reference, I live in America. I'm still struggling with finding the right balance of staying informed and engaged as a citizen, while protecting my mental health so that I can do everyday tasks.
One thing I have learned is that I have to limit my intake of information, whether that is the news, bookish posts on social media, or even Youtube videos. My brain literally needs silence in order to recalibrate and handle the next onslaught of information and stimuli.
While I don't have everything figured out, one thing I have learned is that you need to find the small joys and small moments of peace. These can be found through that first sip of coffee or tea in the morning, or enjoying the breeze as you walk to your car after work. It sounds a little cheesy, but I found that this does help counter some of the truly awful current events.
Here's to taking care of ourselves and looking after one another the best we can.
Cheers,
Creepella
Comments
Post a Comment